Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei (March 17, 2020)
Location: Brunei, countrywide
Event: On March 16, the Ministry of Health announced 54 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Brunei Darussalam.
The government of Brunei Darussalam has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Effective March 16, citizens, permanent residents, and other residents of Brunei, including foreign citizens who hold green identity cards, require approval from the Prime Minister’s Office in order to leave the country. This policy does not apply to tourists or other visitors who do not hold Brunei-government-issued identity cards. Residents may apply for permission to leave the country by emailing email@example.com and including scanned copies of any relevant documents. Please see the website of the Prime Minister’s Office for more information.
Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. With the exception of Bruneian citizens and permanent residents, Brunei has barred admission to travelers who have recently visited Iran, Italy, and the PRC’s Hubei, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu provinces. Visit the website of the Ministry of Health for information on these new measures.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Brunei.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Simpang 336-52-16-9, Jalan Duta Bandar Seri Begawan BC 4115 Brunei Darussalam Phone: +673-238–4616 ext. 2100 Email: ConsularBrunei@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Brunei Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter