Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei (March 26, 2020)
Event: The Brunei Ministry of Health has confirmed 109 cases of COVID-19 in Brunei Darussalam.
The British High Commission in Bandar Seri Begawan has announced that it is coordinating with Royal Brunei Airlines (RBA) on a one-time commercial flight to London—likely the last flight from Brunei to the United Kingdom while current restrictions remain in place. The flight details are as follows:
- Date: Friday, March 27, 2020
- Departure time: 11:40 p.m.
- Fare: BND $1,250.00
- Baggage entitlement: 30kg
If you are interested in taking this flight, please email both UKinBrunei@fco.gov.uk and ConsularBrunei@state.gov as soon as possible with your name, passport number, and mobile phone number. The British High Commission will relay this information to RBA, and RBA will handle payment and ticketing. We cannot guarantee seat availability on this flight, and passengers on the flight will be subject to Bruneian exit and UK entry requirements; passengers planning to continue onward to the United States will be responsible for their own travel arrangements from London and will be subject to U.S. entry requirements.
Royal Brunei Airlines has suspended most of its routes until April 30, with limited service continuing to Singapore, Melbourne, Hong Kong, and Manila. Please note that Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, and the Philippines have all enacted policies barring most foreign citizens from entering or transiting via their airports. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
Citizens, permanent residents, and other residents of Brunei, including foreign citizens who hold green identity cards, require approval from the Prime Minister’s Office in order to leave the country. This policy does not apply to visitors who do not hold Brunei-government-issued identity cards. Residents may apply for permission to leave the country by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including scanned copies of any relevant documents. Please see the website of the Prime Minister’s Office for more information.
The Government of Brunei Darussalam has implemented additional enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Effective March 24, the government barred all foreign citizens from entering or transiting Brunei by air, land, or sea. Inquiries about this policy may be directed to the Brunei Department of Immigration and National Registration at email@example.com.
Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of the Brunei Ministry of Health for the latest information on these new measures.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Brunei.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei
Simpang 336-52-16-9, Jalan Duta
Bandar Seri Begawan BC 4115
Phone: +673-238–4616 ext. 2100
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Brunei Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter