- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Fulbright U.S.-ASEAN Initiative
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is currently NOW OPEN!
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is a one-year grant for graduate study in the United States.
The program operates on the principles of autonomy and open competition based on individual merit, without regard to the individual’s institutional affiliation, race, color or creed. The objective of the grant is to enable the recipient to pursue a particular field of study, and to develop leaders who can contribute to promoting better understanding between the United States and Brunei Darussalam. We encourage grantees to participate and engage in non-academic activities within the community in which they are pursuing their studies. Upon returning to Brunei Darussalam, Fulbrighters are expected to continue their role in building bridges of understanding, directly or indirectly, between the two countries through their professional and personal activities.
The Fulbright Foreign Student scholarship is open to all Bruneian citizens and permanent residents (who are not citizens of any other country) who wish to pursue graduate study at the Masters level. The individual is expected to function easily in academic and social settings.
- be citizens of Brunei Darussalam or permanent residents who are not citizens of any other country.
- hold a bachelor’s degree.
- possess Leadership potential with exceptional promise and demonstrated involvement in community outreach.
- possess Evidence of motivation and commitment to graduate study.
- have outstanding academic records and preparation in the chosen field.
- be proficient in English with a TOEFL score of 550 minimum or higher and a GRE score of 1000 or more.
- be in good health – While no written report is required to apply, a candidate is required to submit a health report and obtain medical clearance before becoming a grantee.
- have three years minimum of work experience.
- has reached out to 3 prospective U.S. universities for graduate study.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship covers:
- full tuition at the U.S. University,
- a modest living
- book supply stipend
Note: accommodation arrangement will be the responsibility of the individual), round-trip international fare to the U.S. and home country; Insurance for the duration of study.
I have submitted my application. What’s next?
After a preliminary review, applicants who meet basic requirements will be shortlisted and applicants will be invited for an interview by the selection committee in June 2023.
How many scholarship(s) are offered each year?
All awards are subject to budget appropriations from the United States Government. For the 2024-2025 academic year, only one (1) scholarship award is available.
Where will I study and how long is the program?
As a Fulbright Scholarship recipient, you will study at a University in the United States for up to one (01) year. You will have the opportunity to indicate schools of your choice, however, placement cannot be assured. It is highly recommended that you take initiative to research the schools which offer your study program.
TOEFL/GRE Testing: You will need to submit proof of a TOEFL score at the time of application and a GRE score after preliminary selection. An IELTS score is accepted temporarily but if selected you will have to take the TOEFL.
The program does not support funding for relatives/dependents to accompany on the travel.
For further details about the Fulbright competition, please contact:
Fulbright Program Brunei
Public Diplomacy Section
U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan