- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Fulbright US-ASEAN Initiative
Who is the Scholarship open to?
Scholarship is open to Bruneian citizens and permanent residents (who are not citizens of any other country) and who hold a minimum of BA/BS degree or equivalent, want to pursue graduate study at the Masters level, must be proficient in English with a TOEFL score of 550 minimum or higher and a GRE score of 1000 or more. The individual must be able to function easily in academic and social settings.
What is the criteria?
The scholarship is an open competition and based on individual merit without regard to the individual’s institutional affiliation, age, race, color or creed. Following is a list:
- Citizenship – Applicants must be citizens of Brunei Darussalam or permanent residents who are not citizens of any other country.
- Leadership potential with exceptional promise and demonstrated involvement in community outreach.
- Evidence of motivation and commitment to graduate study.
- Outstanding academic records and preparation in the chosen field.
- High level of English verbal and written fluency.
- Good health – While no written report is required to apply, a candidate is required to submit a health report and obtain medical clearance before becoming a grantee.
- Three years minimum of work experience.
How do I apply?
Where do I send in the application to?
Send in the application to the following address by May 1, 2020.
(ATTN: Cultural Affairs Specialist, Public Affairs Section):
- Embassy of the United States of America
Simpang 336-52-16-9, Jln Duta
Bandar Seri Begawan, BC4115
What is next?
After a preliminary review, applicants who meet basic requirements will be shortlisted and applicants will be invited for an interview by the selection committee sometime in August 2020.
How many Scholarship are offered each year?
All awards are subject to budget appropriations from the United States Government. For the 2021-2022 academic year, only one (1) scholarship award is available.
Where will I study and How long?
As a Fulbright Scholarship recipient, you will study at a University in the US for up to one (01) year. You will have the opportunity to indicate schools of your choice, however, placement cannot be assured. It is highly recommended that you take initiative to research the schools which offer your study program.
What are the benefits of the Scholarship?
The Scholarship covers: full tuition at the U.S. University, a modest living and book supply stipend (Note: accommodation arrangement will be the responsibility of the individual), round-trip international fare to the U.S. and home country; Insurance for the duration of study.
TOEFL/GRE Testing: You will need to submit proof of a TOEFL score at the time of application and a GRE score after preliminary selection. An IELTS score is accepted temporarily but if selected you will have to take the TOEFL.
The program does not support funding for relatives/dependents to accompany.