Fulbright Visiting Research Award 2023
Deadline for application: November 30, 2022
The U.S. Department of State is pleased to announce the annual competition for the Fulbright Visiting Research Award 2023-2024 opens for application on October 1, 2022. The grant is for non-degree, post-doctoral research for Brunei citizen university faculty, think tank researchers, and professionals conducting non-degree or post-doctoral research to enhance academic and professional expertise in the United States in collaboration with American academics and/or field experts.
The Fulbright award allows recipients to pursue a particular field of study and develop leadership that promotes better understanding between the United States and Brunei. Research will be conducted between September 1, 2023 and May 31, 2024 for a duration of 3 (minimum) to 9 (maximum) months. The award will cover round trip international airfare on an American carrier, settling in and living expenses, and a book or resource allowance.
Preferred Fields of Research
Priority will be given to research in the social sciences and humanities as they relate to the United States and Brunei and the broader global society. Within the natural and applied sciences, only policy-oriented proposals or those with inter-disciplinary overlaps and implications related to sections 2 and 3 below would be considered.
The United States – Study of U.S. society and culture through such fields as history, government, international relations, economics, law, business, literature, intellectual history, sociology, religious pluralism, and cultural anthropology.
Challenges of Contemporary Society – Comparative studies of contemporary civil society and social issues in Brunei and the United States. Subjects of particular interest include risk or crisis management issues, the impact of rapid technological development, (including challenges from the new media), finite resources, energy supply and environmental issues, transformation in educational systems, urbanization, gerontology and the family.
Transnational Issues of Global Society – Study related to transnational issues. Subjects of particular interest include health policy, international trade, labor and mobility, migration, environmental policy, energy and demography or human geography.
- Brunei Citizen.
- Preference given to full-time lecturers, assistant professors, associate professors, or full professors with at least five years professional experience at Brunei universities or other institutions of higher education. Grantees are expected to continue to teach in Brunei upon their completion of the program.
- Individuals from non-profit organizations, especially in the areas of social services, with doctoral degrees or equivalent professional training or experience, are eligible to apply.
- Preference given to applicants who have not had recent extensive experience in the United States, that is, more than a six-month continuous sojourn within the last five years.
- Applicants selected for a Fulbright award are required to submit a Medical History & Examination Report before their grants can be finalized.
Explore affiliations with U.S. institutions, universities, think tanks, and research institutes before submitting the online application. Letters of invitation will enable program organizers to make an informed decision about the applicant and the proposed research.
Interested applicants can apply through our online application link after October 1, 2022.
NOTE: Clearly indicate in the application portal and your project title that you are applying for the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Award.
- Project statement (3-5 pages maximum)
- Curriculum vitae (up to 6 pages)
- Letter of invitation (strongly preferred but not required)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Scanned copy of your passport
|October 1, 2022||Competition opens.|
|November 30, 2022||Deadline for submission of online Fulbright application forms.|
|December 14-18, 2022||Interviews for shortlisted candidates with U.S. Embassy Brunei Review & Selection Committee.|
|January 15, 2023||Notification of candidacy by U.S. Embassy Brunei. Finalists’ details are submitted to the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) for final review.|
|April-May 2023||FFSB selections finalized. Congratulatory letters sent.|
|June 1, 2023||Confirmation of host institution affiliation.|
|Mid-August 2023||Fulbright pre-departure orientations.|
|September 1, 2021-May 31,2022||Selected Fulbright Scholar conducts research in the U.S. for about 3-4 months.|
For further details about the Fulbright competition, please contact:
Fulbright Program Brunei
Public Diplomacy Section
U.S. Embassy Bandar Seri Begawan