What is it?
Starting in summer 2015, over the course of a year, 250 YSEALI Academic Fellows will take part in academic institutes in one of three core YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environment and natural resources management
- Entrepreneurship and economic development
These five week institutes, held on the campus of a U.S. university or college, will include an academic residency, leadership development, an educational study tour, local community service activities, and opportunities to engage with American peers. The program will conclude in Washington, D.C., to allow for engagement with policymakers, governmental representatives, businesses, and think tanks.
Who is eligible to apply?
Young leaders from all 11 YSEALI countries (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam) who members that are current undergraduate or graduate students or recently graduated. Participants are selected by their local embassy based on their background, experience, leadership record, and commitment to service.
Click country specific application and recruitment information for details.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application, although exceptional applicants over 25 can be considered if they meet all other eligibility requirements.
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam.
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam.
- A full-time undergraduate or graduate student; recent graduate of college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or young professional who has recently joined the workforce.
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
What are the selection criteria?
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and track record in their university, place of work, and/or community.
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: civic engagement, environment and natural resources management, or entrepreneurship and economic development.
- Demonstrate a commitment to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States, ASEAN, and Southeast Asia as a region.
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour.
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the region.
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.