Emergency Financial Assistance

If destitute, U.S. citizens can get help from the Embassy’s American Citizen Services (ACS). ACS can assist by contacting the destitute individual’s family, friends, or business associates to raise private funds. ACS can also assist with transmitting these funds to destitute U.S. citizens. If no funds can be procured, then an application for a repatriation loan must be authorized by the Department of State to pay for destitute U.S. citizens direct return to the United States. The destitute U.S. citizens’ passport is then restricted for direct return to the United States only.