Passport Services

Save time. Complete and print your passport application form before coming to the Embassy. This office does not process U.S. passports by mail. Any instructions on the passport forms that reference the mailing of passports or applications are directed towards applicants that are in the United States. All applicants for U.S. passports in Bandar Seri Begawan must apply in person.

Just a Friendly Reminder

For CRBA and first-time passport applications, the name of the applicant should match their birth document(s). Material changes to the applicant’s name must be supported by an amended document or other name change evidence. An affidavit from the parents is not sufficient to establish a material name change. The only exception to this, as outlined in the FAM, is when obtaining an amended birth certificate would present substantial hardship, or if local vital records offices will not amend a birth certificate.

Appointments Are Required for All Routine Services

There is no walk-in service for U.S. citizens who require a routine service related to passport, citizenship, or birth registration. To ensure quality service and brief wait times, please schedule a separate appointment for each person requiring a service. Routine appointments are available on Wednesdays at 10 am only, except on Embassy’s official holidays. Click here to book an appointment.

Modes of Payment

This office accepts major credit cards for all U.S. citizen services. We also accept currency from Brunei, Singapore, or the United States. In response to a local bank policy, we cannot accept USD older than the year 2000, or bills that are ripped or damaged.

Processing Time

The processing time for applications submitted and approved at this office is typically ten days to two weeks. Applicants will have their current passports returned to them at the time of application and are expected to retain them during the processing period. When the new passport is collected, applicants must submit their current passport to be cancelled. The cancelled passport will then be returned with the new passport. Applicants must be able to pick up their new passports in person or authorize a representative in writing to do so. We do not mail passports to applicants and we are required to cancel the current passport before we may release the new passport. Applicants are strongly advised not to make irreversible travel plans until they have their passports in hand.

You Must Apply in Person IF

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued

If you have a limited emergency passport that is valid for a year or less, you should replace it will a full-validity passport. The replacement will be done at no additional charge if you request it before the emergency passport expires.

To replace your emergency passport, present it to the American Citizen Services section along with the following:

  • A completed Form DS-5504 (PDF 108KB)
  • If the emergency passport belongs to a child under the age of 16, only one parent need to appear and the child does not need to come. Adults renewing for themselves must come in person. No one can submit this for you.
  • We must have the current passports for all who are applying including that of one parent if applying for a child.
  • One (1) passport photo that meet the requirements
  • No fee is required unless you request your replacement of an emergency passport after it has already expired. In this case, you must pay the full fee again and submit the DS-82 for adults and DS-11 for children under age 16.