Report Lost or Stolen Passports

Step 1. Contact the American Citizen Services Section

  • Contact ACS as quickly as possible to report the loss in order to minimize the opportunity for someone else to use your passport for illicit purposes at:

Step 2. Report the Theft or Loss to the Royal Brunei Police Force

  • While the U.S. Embassy does not require a police report to replace a lost or stolen passport, you should report the theft or loss to the Royal Brunei Police Force and obtain a copy of the report.

Step 3. Schedule an Appointment

  • There is no walk-in service for U.S. citizens who require a routine service related to passport, citizenship, or birth registration. To ensure quality service and brief wait times, please schedule a separate appointment for each person requiring a service. Routine appointments are available on Wednesdays at 10 am only, except on Embassy’s official holidays. Click here to book an appointment.

Step 4. Complete the Application Form Using Passport Application System or By Downloading the DS-11 (PDF 140KB)

  • Do not sign Form DS-11 until requested to do so by the Consular Officer.

Step 5. Complete Form DS-64, Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport Using Passport Application System.

  • A completed and signed DS-64.

Step 6. Submit Forms and the Following Documents in Person

Proof of U.S. Citizenship (original and one copy of one of the following documents):

  • Previous full validity U.S. passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Copy of the lost or stolen passport
  • If you are not able to produce documentary proof of U.S. citizenship, the Consular Officer will interview you and review passport files to determine if you are an American Citizen.

Proof of Identity (original and one copy):
If possible, please submit one or more of the following documents containing your personal information with your signature and a recent photograph is clearly identifiable as you:

  • Valid U.S. or foreign passport;
  • Valid U. S. driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license);
  • Valid U.S. government (Federal, State, municipal) identification card. Temporary, altered, or commercially issued documents are not acceptable.

U.S. Passport Photo:
One (1) passport photo that meet the requirements

  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
  • Taken in normal civilian attire without a hat or glasses
  • Taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open

If available, a copy of the police report showing the loss or theft of your passport to the Royal Brunei Police Force.

Step 7. Pay Applicable Passport Fees

  • For applicants age 16 or over: USD $165.00 or BND $231.00 equivalent
  • For applicants under age 16: USD $135.00 or BND $189.00 equivalent

This Embassy accepts major credit cards for all U.S. citizen services. We also accept currency from Brunei, Singapore, or the United States. In response to a local bank policy, we cannot accept USD older than the year 2000, or bills that are ripped or damaged.

Note: Once a passport is reported lost or stolen to the Embassy, it is  automatically cancelled to prevent mala-fide travelers from using it. Even if you recover your passport, it must be replaced as you will experience significant problems if you attempt to use it to travel.